If elected I promise that I will:
1. Put Americans and especially Vermonters first in any bill I vote for.
2. Vote against any legislation that will be detrimental to the working class. I will protect the rights of American workers.
3. Work to make health care affordable (and accessible) to all Americans.
4. Push to develop and use renewable alternative fuels and reduce the demand for fossil fuels as quickly as possible.
5. Introduce legislation to exempt the first $75,000 from income tax with a flat tax above that threshold so approximately ¾ of Americans are exempt to have a more efficient collection system.
6. Work to ensure Social Security is solvent forever by pushing to eliminate the income cap on the FICA tax and push for a need based system.
7. Never take any special interest money; I will be accountable only to the people I represent.
8. Work to reduce government size and waste to create a smaller, more efficient government that is more efficient and is less intrusive in personal lives and businesses.
9. Lead the way to replace our failed foreign policy with a treaty of nonaggression and basic human rights.
10. Push for tough, smart environmental laws wherever necessary to protect our water, land, and air.
11. Never allow the idea of re-election chances to color a position.
12. Be a leader in a movement to make elected officials more accountable and responsive to the voters.That includes voters deciding pay increases for Congress and a citizen board of ethics for Congress.
It is time for a new way of doing business in Washington which is returning to the original idea of elected officials representing the people and not going to Washington and becoming aristocracy and cashing in.
I want to make a contract with the voters a standard part of every candidate's campaign so voters can evaluate candidates true beliefs and values and have a guide to see if a candidate seeking reelection has followed their contract.
~ Keith Stern
I as a candidate for Congress of the United States pledge to introduce within six months of my inauguration the following bills because time is of the essence:
1. Legislation stating that a legislative bill can not contain spending that is not directly related to the legislation the bill is for. (Crucial in order to get all future bills done in an orderly and efficient way)
2. A comprehensive bill to cut the deficit, freeze nonessential spending, and to reduce the waste the scope of government by eliminating duplication, overlap, and no longer necessary and inefficient programs and offices.
3. A comprehensive plan to make healthcare and the cost of healthcare insurance affordable for every American by eliminating waste, tort reform, making it easier for insurers to offer more options throughout the country, and improve the efficacy of the healthcare system.
4. Immigration reform and border security that works for America.
5. A bill to make sure Social Security remains solvent.
6. Income tax reform by going to a flat tax.
This will be made a public challenge to all candidates for Congress, Democrat and Republican, to sign this pledge to get America moving in the right direction swiftly.